Let's Talk About Pokemon - Tentacool and Tentacruel

 



A Pokemon's name never lied to me!

072: Tentacool

For a Pokemon that is effectively the Zubat of the sea, I sure don't see nearly as much complaints about its ridiculously high encounter rate. Tentacool isn't anything short of it's namesake, a pretty cool tentacle monster. It kind of looks equal parts jellyfish and squid, which wouldn't be a surprise with Gen 1's track record of hybridizing animals for their Monsters of Pockets. And it'd be fair to get both of them with one Pokemon. Though it does clearly lean more into jellyfish, especially once it evolves.

And Tentacool's no slouch in design either. I really dig uncommon color schemes when they're done right, and the blue with red gems looks very nice. While I'd normally bemoan the addition of a somewhat normal face to an animal that has none, Tentacool's got a pretty cool visage in its own right, I like how it somewhat eludes to a squid beak but clearly isn't a squid's beak.

Personal Score: 7.5/10


Oh yeah, it's big brain time.

073: Tentacruel

They call this one Tentacruel even though this is the Tentacooler one. Tentacruel's general appearance just looks plainly awesome, between the shape and fierce look it has. The sheer number of tentacles it has is frightening, like if you got tangled up in them there'd be no escaping. It's the cooler Tentacool.

That “beak” is impressive looking as well. At least I'm assuming that's a beak. Not that it can't still have squid parts. But, I can let it slide for looking cool. I think the one criticism I'd weigh against it, is that with a body so obviously exoskeleton-like, I'd kinda rather it was closed off on the bottom to make its black body look more like a shadowy void you couldn't see into, with mean eyes peering out.

It's just a shame, once again, Tentacruel didn't receive any Mega or Alolan form treatment. I could easily imagine a Water/Electric Tentacruel with jellyfish stings being associated with electrical shocks.

Personal Score: 8.5/10


Prev           Archive            Next


Got your own input? Leave a comment!

Comments