Let's Talk About Pokemon - Clefairy and Clefable

 



Pull my fing-- bah, that's too easy.

035: Clefairy

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's wondered what Pokemon would be like these days if they didn't change their mind about who should be Pokemon's mascot. Clefairy didn't even get to be much of a “secondary mascot” like Luigi or anything, it's just sort of sitting in Gen 1, being partly forgotten about.

I said it earlier, but I do like Clefairy a little more than Pikachu. Its brand of overly cutesy is just up my alley. And I appreciated it that little bit more once the Fairy type rolled around for it. Its designs is super simple and nondescript so it's a little difficult to get into actually why I like it. I think that's why I understand why Pikachu was chosen over it. I can go in-depth and explain Pikachu's appeal. Clefairy's just cute and pink.


I wish I were taller.

036: Clefable

I can take or leave when something's evolution is mostly “the creature from before but a little bit bigger”. Clefable's fine enough, but with it being just like Clefairy for the most part, I can't really say anything all the different about it. I like the additions that are there, namely the wings. I also like its comically tiny face.

It is nice how, despite these two being created far before Fairy type ever became a thing, they do retroactively make for a good introductory Pokemon to the concept of the Fairy type, the same way Machop and Abra are kind of the "introductory" Pokemon for the Fighting and Psychic type.

Personal Score: 7/10


Prev           Archive            Next


Comments