Let's Talk About Pokemon - Diglett and Dugtrio

 


I killed a man. With THIS thumb!

050: Diglett

Diglett is about one of the simplest Pokemon designs out there. While Diglett's not at all my kind of Pokemon, there's no denying the appeal to this thing as a goofy thumb-shaped mole. Arceus knows all sorts of fanart spiraled out of speculating what Diglett looks like under the ground. Will that question ever be answered? I won't lose sleep over it if not.

I hate to be SUPER critical of Diglett, but it's about the bare minimum of a monster design. And while it does convey a fun personality to it, it is just a hill from Mario with a big red nose on it. It doesn't inspire a whole lot in me in terms of feelings. Not that Diglett does a whole lot wrong, but. I can't bring myself to be overly enthusiastic about it either.

"Diglett dig! Diglett dig! Trio trio trio!" is probably a phrase deeply engrained into the memory of every 90s parent.

051: Dugtrio

I used to give Dugtrio a lot of crap for being just three Diglett, but really, these days I dunno if I'd ever change it from that. I can see its design being called “lazy” by some people but it's more a case of the simplest answer being the right one. Diglett's clearly meant to be a little whack-a-mole, so what logical evolution could there be other than to just be more of them?! I also kinda like having Dugtrio mellow out a bit recently, and not make the three Diglett so angry. It felt like that was trying too hard to differentiate it from Diglett.

I just feel like I would've liked it a bit had they just gone to the next logical extreme where it evolves one more time into even more Diglett. Though even that only would've carried it so far, since it'd be a collection of a bunch of the same Pokemon I'm already kind of "meh" about.

Personal Score: 5.5/10


Prev           Archive            Next


Got your own input? Leave a comment!

Comments