Let's Talk About Pokemon - Intro

 Howdy! If you're new and don't know me well, I'm Vixi, and I have a love for monster design, chief among them being the Pokemon series. So a while back, inspired by Bogleech, I saw to it that I was going to review and analyze the design of every single Pokemon and each of their major forms in order to lay out my thoughts on them all and maybe fall in love with a couple on the way. The "Let's Talk About Pokemon" series wrapped up just yesterday, and I found Blogspot shortly after as a way to better keep these reviews organized than I can on tumblr.


Pokemon, as you can imagine, is a series that's a pretty big deal to me. I've grown up with it more or less since the beginning, and it's pretty much always been there as something I always come back to for either inspiration or just a pleasant game to play every now and then. Pokemon's a HUGE reason I'm so into art to begin with! Let alone be so in love with the oft under-appreciated art of monster design. Hence why one Bogleech inspired the idea, I thought I should also turn my love for monster design and do my best to show my appreciation for it.

This review series will be a lot like Bogleech's; going through each Pokemon, evolutionary line by line, and giving a paragraph or more of my thoughts on each of their designs. I'll chop through them in National Dex order for the most part. Mega Evolutions will be covered as I get to a Pokemon that Mega Evolves, regional variants will be covered right before the region they're from, and Gigantamax forms will come before Gen 8, just because the series wrapped up the first time before Gen 8 so it's hard to have them already in my reviews. And of course, I'll cap them off with a score at the end out of 10.


1 - Yuck: Truly the worst the series has to offer. Very few have this score, but I really do think their designs are dire.

2 - Awful: Mostly just getting everything wrong, or just not something within my taste at all.

3 - Bad: Designs I feel either aim and miss the mark or really don't bring anything to the table.

4 - Mediocre: While the Pokemon with this score probably aren't outright bad, I feel like they're not being ambitious enough. The most boring Pokemon to me tend to go here.

5 - Average: A Pokemon that is about as good as it is not-good, or a Pokemon with a very simple goal that it achieves, but doesn't excel with.

6 - Good: A Pokemon with a pleasant charm to it or a generally solid design, but little else.

7 - Great: A design that is at least noteworthy for doing something neat, even if it isn't exceptional.

8 - Awesome: THIS is getting into the really good stuff Pokemon has to offer. The design is unique and very well thought out.

9 - Outstanding: Extremely good designs that bring something to the table to not just Pokemon, but creature design in general.

10 - Amazing: The truly exceptional designs that are either perfect, or so close to perfection that any flaws they may have barely matter to me. (Or Pokemon that pander to the admittedly more shallow end of my tastes...)


If you're reading this and you already know me, hi again! This Blogspot WON'T be replacing my tumblr, it's just going to better serve as a hub to keep all these reviews orderly. And furthermore, I'll be updating SOME of the reviews. Namely the ones where my opinion on a Pokemon has changed over time. I'm still trying to figure out a way to clearly mark these on the archive so y'all won't have to skim to find out, I'm still going about this by ear. I suppose just mind that the older the original review was, the more likely it is that I've changed it at least a little.

And of course, a lot of this will be having to slowly chop away at reviews I've already written to get them up on here over time. There's 530 of them, so even if I uploaded one a day, it'd take a while.


Archive            Next

Comments