Reaction - Space Groove

While League of Legends isn't a game I play as much as I used to, I still like it artistically enough to still actively pay attention to it. So I figured why not keep tabs on it and write little reactions to whatever new thing is happening to come out for it?

This PBE patch, We got a new skin line in Space Groove. And when they gave us a sneak peak a few months ago and Lux here was one of the first ones they showed off, and then described it as a "Retro Sci-Fi" skin line, I initially thought it was going to aim for a 60s or 70s sci-fi cartoon aesthetic. Something like your Jetsons, Space Ghost, or maybe even G1 Transformers. That isn't quite what we got though. Instead, it's more like Sci-fi as informed by the aesthetic of the 70s. Either way, I really dig most of these skins.


And the 70s aesthetic REALLY comes across in Samira's funky, glittery jumpsuit. This is definitely another one that could've fooled me into thinking this line's aesthetic was going after 60s and 70s cartoons, but as we'll see, it isn't QUITE the case.


I like Rumble's skin on concept, and it's definitely nice for Rumble mains to finally get a new skin to play with, but ingame it falls apart for me a little. It's more than likely because his original model and rigging are ancient relics from the far-lost year of 2011, but it feels clunkier than it aughta be, and it doesn't even really shoot goop! I liked the idea that Rumble's flamethrower was replace with a goop shooter, but in the game itself it looks more like funky-colored fire! Lame!


I've not got a ton to say on Nunu and Willump here, but I do love the effect of Willump's skin being covered in a thick, mucusy membrane! And it's impressive that they pulled it off on the ingame model too! It just feels like the one skin out of all of these that has the least reason to be here.


Nasus is definitely one of the better skins on concept alone, with a little Shiba piloting a big anthro dog-mech. I also love that they went to the trouble of changing his voice quite a bit. It would've been easy enough to just add a filter over it, but they went to the trouble of adding in the dog's barking beforehand to imply Nasus' lines are translations of what the dog is saying. Who knew "Woof woof" translated to "WASTE AWAY!"


As a Lux main, even I was getting really bored of her skin output for a while. Her last truly exceptional skin for me was Star Guardian all the way back in 2015. The ones that came after were the nice but not terribly exciting Elementalist, a few merely "fine" skins, and then the really boring Cosmic/Dark Cosmic skins. So it's cool to finally have a Lux skin that's actually really nice looking again! I love her outfit, as I said before, definitely looks like the kinda space-fashion you'd see from an old 70s cartoon. Either way, this is the first Lux skin to come out in a while that feels like they had a solid idea for how she could fit into the themes and not just sticking her in cause she's a popular character.


I like this Lulu skin a nice amount too! I like the glittery gel look of her hair, and the long glob that replaces her witch-like cap. Plus I love the obnoxious assault of colors you'd come to expect from a "Groovy" Lulu skin.


As usual with Prestige Edition skins though, I'm not impressed any. I feel like the white and gold look has gotten boring ages ago, let alone by now, and it looks so uniform and unlike Lulu's style.


And finally, there's Blitzcrank. Or rather, Blitz and Crank, the galaxy-dominating cats. While I had Space Ghost on the brain, I thought a fair enough villain for the skin line would be something like Viktor as a "Moltar" or Kha'zix as a "Zorak", but I suppose those two already got skins not too long ago, oh well.

Blitzcrank does a nice enough job as a comedy villain duo with the same kinda dynamic as Pinky and Brain. As a Legendary skin, it has funny banter between the two cats piloting pieces of this mech. I am amused that the mech itself is very unsubtly aping the look of a Volkswagen beetle, just to be that much more "retro", and I guess sneaking some Transformers influence into there after all. All that's missing is a "Cats, superior! Dogs, inferior!" voice line.

Comments