Let's Talk About Pokemon - The Gen 1 Eeveelutions

 


And all Eevee truly wanted to be was an astronaut...

133: Eevee

Oh boy, Eevee. A Pokemon that's notorious, to say the least about it. Responsible for creating possibly the biggest sub-fandom in all of Pokemon, and also the biggest candidate for getting Fakemon evolutions drawn of it. Not that you can blame the fandom, Eevee's a pretty basic animal and its little evolution gimmick lends itself to getting that sort of treatment. My relationship with Eevee's been an up and down one. First, I was alright with it. Then, I loved it like everybody and their grandmother did in the mid-2000s. It was totally my favorite at the time. Then I hated it because hating Eevee is what the cool kids did or something. Now I'm fond of it again. Though, nowhere near the intense amount of feelings as a lot of other Eevee fans.

But more about Eevee itself. While it's not anything mind-blowing or spectacular, Eevee's still a gigantic cutie. One of those Pokemon I'd totally have as a pet. It's a simple fox-like creature (and you know how I am about foxes) with a fluffy mane. The mane manages to be enough to prompt some creative use when it comes to building some evolutions off of Eevee. (Unless you're Gen 2-onwards, where you opt not to have a mane at all for some stupid reason.)

Eevee's not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but I still like it the same way you'd like a pet dog. It's a cute animal, but that's about the gist of it.

Personal Score: 6.5/10

But as you're probably very well aware, Eevee's a special Pokemon that comes with an evolutionary gimmick. At the time, Eevee was the only Pokemon to ever have a split evolution path. These days we take that for granted. At least Eevee's still the master, having 8 Frigging Possible Evolutions. But for now, we're just going to cover the first three.


I'm looking for moisturizer that can hide the fact that I've been tired since 2016

134: Vaporeon

Vaporeon used to be pretty far down there on my “tier list” of Eeveelutions. Now, it's been promoted to be more on the upside. It's arguably the most adventurous designs for an Eeveelution, giving a canid fish-like features, like the fin-ears and neck frill, complete with a little mermaid tail. It's a set of features you would expect to look a little messy on a dog body, but actually flows fairly nicely. A little front-heavy with the details but very nice.

Curiously, Vaporeon is also capable of melting and turning into water. Not what I had in mind for slime-mons, but sure, I'll take it. It's like some kind of Sog Dog. It's explained by saying "Its cellular structure is similar to water molecules", which I'm sure any biologist could tell you is complete nonsense. But as far as Pokemon pseudoscience goes, I suppose it gets a pass.

I do also like how the fin-mane it has around its neck also seems to be used to allow it to float with its head above the water. As far as I'm aware that's not a function any actual mammal has, but in at least a fantasy sense it totally sounds plausible as something an aquatic mammal would evolve to allow it to stay in the water, able to breathe, AND not get too tired since it can just float there.

Personal Score: 8.5/10


Behold, a metal band logo

135: Jolteon

Jolteon is one of the least visually interesting of the Eeveelutions for me, to be honest. Not the worst, but probably my least favorite. The spiky look is cool to be sure, but it feels a little too predictable as far as an electric-type canid thing goes. I might've liked it better if its body was a little more slender and crooked, like Jolteon itself is a little lightning bolt-shaped. As-is, it's sufficiently "neat" and I still like it quite a bit, it just could've been a bit "more."

Personal Score: 6.5/10


Welcome to McDonald's can I take your order

136: Flareon

Largely the same could be said for Flareon, though it is catering to my shallow like for big fluffy things this time so I end up liking it a bit more, whoopsie. Not as much as I used to, but still quite a bit. I think this one should've looked a bit broader and beast-like, if not just going overboard with the fur because why not. Just as is, it's cute and fluffy, and is really good at being cute and fluffy, but plenty of things are cute and fluffy, SO.

Personal Score: 7.5/10


Prev           Archive            Next


Got your own input? Leave a comment!

Comments

  1. Flareon i my favourite eevo cuz it looks the most like eevee lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment