Let's Talk About Pokemon - Magmar

 


The most amusing of fun facts: Its Japanese name is "Boober"

126: Magmar

A lot like Electabuzz, I somehow manage to forget Magmar quite a bit. And frankly, shame on you for that, brain! Cause Magmar is pretty dang neat. It's an odd flaming duck-man, but I do love me the red and yellow color scheme. My sticking points are, again, the flame pattern on its stomach is a bit much. As if the design itself didn't communicate “fire type” enough. I'd almost rather its belly had a bit of the scaly look its arms do, because those arms otherwise look out of place as well, as much as I do like the feel of "rough scales" that they give off.

Other than that, Magmar's fairly solid. The whole vibe its face gives off plenty of personality and again, I admire how much of "just some creature" it looks, where it's got elements of ducks and birds, but also some lizard and maybe even a bit of fish-like elements with those lips and bulbous face. The only thing I'd probably change body-shape-wise is make its torso a little less perfectly round.

It even sells the flaming tail look better than Charizard. Strange that that was a consistent detail between two first types for this generation alone, other than maybe Monferno. It would've been neat if there was some sort of "Family" of lizard or lizard-adjacent Pokemon with flaming tails the same way each generation has an electric rodent with defined cheek spots.


And while I definitely like the duck-lips, I do kinda prefer when its mouth is a bit more nozzle-like. It not only just makes it look even stranger but also makes it look like it has a volcano for a mouth, which is stealthily pretty neat! It's the perfect flame-spewing apparatus!

Personal Score: 9/10


Prev           Archive            Next


Got your own input? Leave a comment!


Comments